NSDC: Ukrainian Troops in the ATO Areas Remain Under Heavy Shelling

NSDC: Ukrainian Troops in the ATO Areas Remain Under Heavy Shelling
November 23, 2014.

Kyiv, November 23, 2014. Terrorists continue to violate the ceasefire, and the Ukrainian army strikes back in response – said the Deputy Chief of the Information and Analytical Center of the NSDC of Ukraine Volodymyr Polevy during the  press briefing at Ukraine Crisis Media Center.

Volodymyr Polevy said that the situation in the areas of Anti-Terrorist Operation (ATO) remains tense; the number of attacks in recent days has not changed. Over the past day the militants attacked the positions of the Ukrainian military in the regions of Avdiivka, Debaltseve, Krasnohorovka, Shchastia, town of Elenovka, Olhovatka, Olhove, Sokolniki, Stanitsa Luhanska, Trehizbenka, Chernukhino, towns of Vesele, Nevelske, Opytne, Peski, Tonenke, villages of Krymske, and Orlovo-Ivanivka. While the Ukrainian military strike back the insurgents suffer significant losses. Defenders of the Donetsk airport continue to hold their positions. The NSDC representative stressed that there was no information about casualties among the Ukrainian military over the past day as well as the information on the armed conflict on the Russian-Ukrainian border beyond the ATO area.

Volodymyr Polevy also reported on the series of events to commemorate the victims of the Holodomor [man-made famine back in 1932-33] which took place on November 22 in the liberated territories of Donbas, as well as in other regions of Ukraine. Local residents expressed their regret that because of the Russia’s actions their countrymen were again threatened by famine. In addition, NSDC shared information about the locals who hold a protest today in front of the administration buildings in the territories captured by the terrorists. People demand that the militants ensure the payment of pensions and dissemination of humanitarian aid. Dissatisfaction of the local residents has been enhanced by the information that the leaders of terrorist groups have been involved in the embezzlement of funds, brought in from Russia.

During the press briefing Volodymyr Polevy has demonstrated the recording from the video surveillance camera in Donetsk, where the white KAMAZ trucks were escorted by two military trucks towing artillery guns. This once again confirms that the Russian “humanitarian convoys” supply terrorists with weapons and ammunition, stressed Polevy. The militants also impede the delivery of humanitarian aid to Ukrainian inhabitants in the occupied territories. In the last 24 hours 2,253 people who left the ATO area received temporary housing, including 448 children, 848 disabled and the elderly. Overall, 458,000 people had been relocated from the Donbas, including more than 124,000 children and 92,000 people with disabilities and the elderly. About 19,500 people have been relocated from the territory of the temporarily occupied Crimean peninsula, noted the official.

Share

Twitter
Tags:
More news on the topic