May 21 Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina won the prestigious Masters Tournament in Rome. On her way to the final Ukrainian beat Alizé Cornet (France), Mona Barthel (Germany), Karolína Plíšková (Czech Republic) and Garbiñe Muguruza (Spain). In the final Svitolina in three sets (4: 6, 7: 5, 6:1) beat the world 4th racket Simona Halep from Romania.
The tournament in Rome is memorable not only because of triumph of Ukrainian tennis player, but also due to a series of records Svitolina established with performances in the Italian capital. Among Elina’s achievements are not only personal and national, but also international ones:
- Victory in the final of the tournament in Rome was the 31st in the season for the Ukrainian athlete, which is the best result among all professional tennis players this year. Currently, no other tennis player reached even 30 wins in a season;
- Thanks to her successful performance in the Italian tournament Svitolina climbed to sixth place in the WTA tennis ranking. This is the best result for Elina in her career. In addition, to this day, not a single Ukrainian tennis player not has been ranked that high;
- It is Svitolina’s fourth victory at the international courts this year. Earlier Svitolina already won trophies in Taipei, Dubai and Istanbul. In general, it is her eighth victory in WTA tournaments;
- During the season, Svitolina has already beat WTA’s top 10 players six times. Elin defeated the first racket of the world Angelique Kerber three times, and won from Karolína Plíšková, Garbiñe Muguruza and Simona Halep (all three at the tournament in Rome);
- Victorious march in Rome raised Svitolina to the first place of WTA champion race. During the year, the Ukrainian won 2845 points, which is 423 more than Karolína Plíšková, who goes second.