Colonel Andriy Lysenko: Ukrainian Armed Forces incur no losses in the last 24 hours


Militants continue attacks using mortar launchers. 26 incidents of ceasefire violations by militants registered in the Mariupol sector.

Kyiv, July 23, 2016. Ukrainian Armed Forces incurred no losses in the last 24 hours, but six troops were injured, informed spokesman of the Presidential Administration on ATO related issues Colonel Andriy Lysenko at a press briefing at Ukraine Crisis Media Center.

Russia-backed militant groups violated the ceasefire four times in the Luhansk sector. Seven mortar shells were launched at ATO troops’ positions near Staryi Aidar. Ukrainian troops responded with fire. Moreover, several provocations instigated by the Russia-backed militants took place near Novooleksandrivka during the hours of darkness. 24 militants’ attacks took place in the Donetsk sector; seven of these involved use of heavy armor. “Adversary conducted two intense artillery attacks at our positions in Avdiivka and Pisky at night, launching 62 missiles. Militants conducted aerial reconnaissance using unmanned aerial vehicles. Moreover, they used the newest Russian EW complex R-330 “Zhytel”. Enemy also used mortar launchers at the Svitlodarsk bulge – in Troitske and Luhanske. Moreover, hostile provocations took place along the entire perimeter of Horlivka agglomerate and at Butovka coal mine position,” elaborated the spokesman.


Militants violated the ceasefire 26 times in the Mariupol sector and used mortar launchers eight times. Russia-backed insurgents were actively using mortar launchers in the vicinity of Starohnativka, Shorokyne, Krasnohorivka, Vodiane and Talakivka. In total, militants launched 73 mortar shells. Militants used unmanned personnel carrier near Krasnohorivka and opened fire from grenade launchers and small arms.

Col. Lysenko said that on July 22 militants from so-called “1st rocket artillery battalion” of the “3rd separate motorized rifle brigade” of Russian occupational forces intentionally burned Grad multiple rocket launcher system. “Militants chose this way to take revenge on their command – deputy battalion commander colonel Olha Kachura and assistant deputy commander of armaments captain Yuriy Melnyk who had seized mobile phones from their subordinates under the pretense of maintaining security reasons. They promised to arrest the most recalcitrant ones and “pit” them, as is the usual practice among the militants,” explained Col. Lysenko.

Luhansk law enforcements jointly with border guards detained a Severodonetsk inhabitant who was a member of so-called “Luhansk People’s Republic” (LPR). “In spring 2014 he voluntarily joined the ranks of the militants and was keeping armed watch at a checkpoint, illegally inspecting vehicles and citizens’ documents. After Ukrainian Armed Forces liberated the town, the militant fled to Russia. The man decided to go back home recently, but was detained at the same Tanuishivka checkpoint on Ukrainian-Russian border,” summarized Col. Lysenko.