Ministry of Defense: Russian proxies have already violated the new ceasefire effective March 5


Russia-backed militants have already violated the ceasefire that should have entered into force on March 5, according to agreements reached by the Trilateral Contact Group in Minsk. According to Ukrainian Ministry of Defense, the first attack started at 01:00. “The enemy attacked our positions in Schastia for 90 minutes with direct fire 0f automatic grenade launchers and small arms. Moreover, they fired four 82-mm mortar rounds. At about 04.30 they undertook a similar attack on our positions in Troitske, firing seven 82-mm mortar rounds in addition to heavy machine guns fire,” reported Ukrainian Ministry of Defense spokesman on ATO Dmytro Hutsulyak at a press briefing at Ukraine Crisis Media Center. According to him, Ukrainian servicemen did not return fire today.

Yesterday, according to Ministry of Defense, Russian proxies attacked Ukrainian positions seven times having fired more than fifty 120-mm and 82-mm mortar rounds and ten rounds from tank cannon. Three of the attacks took place in Luhansk sector. In Schastia area, militants used 82-mm mortars, automatic grenade launchers, and small arms. Moreover, they used 120-mm mortars in Luhanske and Svitlodarsk areas.

In Donetsk sector, Russia-backed militants violated the ceasefire four times yesterday. Around midnight, shelled Maryinka area with 120-mm mortars. “In Pavlopil area, militants started an attack on our positions at about 07:00. The enemy used 120-mm mortars, infantry fighting vehicles, automatic grenade launchers, small arms, and a tank. The attack continued for 90 minutes”, said Col. Hutsulyak. In addition, militants shelled Shyrokyne area with 120-mm mortars.  Ukrainian servicemen returned fire two times yesterday using only small arms.

Fortunately, Ukrainian army incurred no casualties yesterday.

Report on the military developments as of March 4 is available here. Interactive data on the shelling: chronology shelling chart and the interactive map.