Fallen Defenders of July 2021


This is a summary of the original article by Novynarnia.

The tradition of the Olympic truce encouraged by the UN, which is supposed to start seven days before the opening and end seven days after the closing of each Olympic Games, was completely ignored by the Russian hybrid forces in July. The occupant has only intensified shelling amidst the Olympics.

Artillery strikes on civil construction have become more frequent. Several times the heavy artillery of the Russian Federation hit not even the advanced positions of the Armed Forces of Ukraine’s units, but the rear command posts of the battalion level sometimes located 15 or more km from the front line.

In total, Novynarnia counted at least 256 shooting attacks.

Despite the first anniversary of the ceasefire, in July, seven soldiers of the Armed Forces were killed as a result of the enemy’s shelling, having sacrificed their lives for Ukraine. 

Yurii Pysmennyi (”Feofan”)

Captain Yurii Pysmennyi

Captain Yurii Pysmennyi was born in 1962. He lived in the city of Dnipro. Having graduated from the medical institute, he was working as a gynecologist for over 20 years and then started his own business. However, the war changed everything. In 2016, he went to the frontline and joined the First Volunteer Hospital to save soldiers’ health and lives. 

At the end of 2018, he signed a contract with the Armed Forces of Ukraine and headed the medical facility of the battalion of the 93rd Separate Mechanized Brigade called “Kholodnyi Yar”.

Yurii is remembered as an experienced doctor, kind, known for his high professionalism which saved many lives. According to comrade medics, he was very reliable and treated the subordinate personnel like his own children. 

His daughter says that he was a man of love and care who had a great sense of humor. He always supported, helped and taught his subordinates, and also demanded caution, especially during evacuations. 

On July 4, the occupants started the fire from SPGs and attacked the positions of the Ukrainian  Armed Forces near the village of Myrne, Donetsk oblast. Yurii Pysmennyi, who came to help one of the soldiers, was severely wounded by shell fragments and taken to the hospital. To the end, he asked not to alarm his wife and tell her that he had a minor injury. Later, he called his wife to keep in touch with her. He was conscious all the time and even advised doctors who helped him. Finally, he died on the operating table. A week before, Yurii Pysmennyi received the rank of captain.

The doctor was buried in the village of Stari Kodaky, on the outskirts of Dnipro.

He is survived by his wife, son and daughter.

Bohdan Brodovskyi

Major Bohdan Brodovskyi

Mayor Bohdan Brodovskyi was born in 1984 in Haisyn, Vinnytsia oblast. Having signed a contract with the Armed Forces, he entered the military institute and studied logistics support. In 2009, he received the rank of officer, and in 2014 became a Chief Rations Officer in the 93rd Separate Mechanized Brigade “Kholodnyi Yar”.

Major Brodovskyi’s colleagues remember him as an easy-going, sensitive friend and a comrade, who is always eager to help. As an officer, he took great care of his subordinates. He was also a passionate football fan and always supported the Ukrainian national team.

Bohdan Brodovskyi had four children (the youngest son is less than one year old).

In 2017, he was transferred to the reserve corps and later resigned from the Armed Forces. However, in 2019 he returned to the Reserve Separate Mechanized Brigade and in 2021 rejoined the “Kholodnyi Yar” as Deputy Chief of Logistics.

On July 5, Bohdan Brodovskyi was killed in enemy fire near the village of Chermalyk. He died immediately from blast injury incompatible with life.

His wife and four children remain behind.

Evhenii Kurasov

Serjeant Evhenii Kurasov

Sergeant Evhenii Kurasov was only 24 years old. He was born in the village of Loknia, Sumy oblast, about 5 kilometers from the border with Russia. And, as his comrades say, Eugene was an ardent patriot of Ukraine. 

Before serving on the front, he was a border guard. In October 2019, he joined the 58th Separate Motorized Infantry Brigade named after Hetman Ivan Vyhovskyi. His comrades remember him as a very cheerful and positive person. Also, since school, he had been an avid chess player.

Only two months ago, Yevhenii Kurasov’s daughter was born. That was the last time he saw his family.

On July 8, Sergeant Kurasov was hit by a sniper bullet at Pisky military base near the Donetsk airport.

Yevhenii was buried in his native village Loknia.

He is survived by his parents, wife, and little daughter.

Volodymyr Yaskiv

Senior soldier Volodymyr Yaskiv

On July 29, Volodymyr Yaskiv would have turned 44 years old. He was born in 1977 in the village of Velyki Birky, Ternopil oblast. He is remembered by everybody as a good friend who was always ready to protect the weak.

Having signed a contract with the Armed Forces, he became a senior soldier and a senior shooter in the 24th Separate Mechanized Brigade named after King Danylo.

According to his comrades, he was one of the best soldiers in our unit, a role model for many. He was always confident, ready to support both junior and senior comrades, and a high professional in his field. 

On July 9, he was monitoring the enemy forces near Zolote in the Luhansk oblast when the occupants started a massive shelling with the use of large-caliber machine guns, grenade launchers, anti-tank guided missiles, and 82-caliber mortars. Changing his position, Volodymyr Yaskiv was shot by an enemy sniper. The bullet hit him in the head, leaving no chance of life.

The soldier was buried in his native village of Velyki Birky.

His mother remained behind.

Andrii Beliayev (“Bielyi”)

Chief Sergeant Andrii Beliayev

Andrii Belyaev was born in 1982 in the Dnipropetrovsk oblast and lived in Nikopol.

His friends describe him as a very modest, calm, sensitive, and reliable person, and his comrades remember him as a “quiet hero” and a good commander.

Having completed his military service, Andrii Beliayev worked at various enterprises and did business. 

When Russia started its military aggression against Ukraine, he voluntarily came to the military registration and enlistment office. In March 2014, he was mobilized and served in the National Guard. He took part in the battles for the liberation of Mariupol.

When the mobilization term expired, he signed a contract with the Armed Forces and joined the 57th Separate Motorized Infantry Brigade named after Kish Otaman Kost Hordiyenko.

In January 2016, he was appointed platoon leader and later received the rank of Chief Sergeant. Even during the war, Andrii managed to get a higher education — in 2021 he graduated from the National Metallurgical Academy of Ukraine.

He died on July 13 during the enemy artillery fire, when the Russians struck 122-mm and 152-mm caliber at the command and observation post of the 17th battalion of the 57th brigade near the village of Prychepylivka, Novoaidar rayon, Luhansk oblast.

Senior Sergeant Beliayev was killed immediately and buried in his hometown Nikopol.

His mother, wife, and three children remain behind.

Oleksandr Horbenko

Oleksandr Horbenko

29-year-old Oleksandr Horbenko, came from Kryvyi Rih, Dnipropetrovsk oblast.

He took an active part in the Revolution of Dignity, and after the beginning of the Russian military aggression joined the Self-Defense of Kryvyi Rih. His stepfather, a veteran of the Kryvbas battalion, calls him a true patriot. 

His friends also describe him as a person who stood out for his patriotism and proved his love for Ukraine with actions, not just words. 

When hostilities broke out in the Ukrainian East, Oleksandr came to the war as a volunteer and joined the battalion “Sicheslav”. Then he signed a contract with the Armed Forces and passed the selection to the 8th Special Regiment.

Oleksandr Horbenko was serving in the special forces for three years. At the end of the contract, he returned to civilian life and started working at the local metallurgical plant “Arcelor-Mittal”. Then, he suffered from COVID-19 and several complications. After rehabilitation, he signed a contract again and joined the 10th Separate Mountain Assault Brigade, where he served as a senior shooter.

On July 15, Russian mercenaries started a fierce fire at the village of New York near Horlivka. Blasting shells, 82- and 122-mm mines were smashing windows and destroying walls. Fortunately, there were no casualties among the locals. Unfortunately, Ukrainian servicemen were less fortunate. Oleksandr Horbenko did not have enough time to hide in a shelter when a mine exploded nearby.

As a result, he got terrible burns on 80% of his body. The soldier was evacuated by helicopter to the hospital in Kharkiv. After four days of the fierce fight for life, his heart stopped beating on July 19.

The soldier was buried in Kryvyi Rih.

He is survived by his parents and daughter.

Dmytro Syvokon

Senior Sergeant Dmytro Syvokon

Dmytro Syvokon was born in 1982 in the Kherson oblast and lived in Skadovsk. In 2014, he joined the anti-terrorist operation as a volunteer. He served in the Armed Forces as the Chief Platoon Sergeant in the special unit of Ukrainian Military Law-Enforcement Service “Sarmat”. Later, he received the rank of junior lieutenant.

After three contusions and injuries in 2017, Dmytro Syvokon was transferred to the Skadovsk military registration and enlistment office. Nevertheless, he still returned to the frontline and became a serviceman of the 17th Separate Motorized Infantry Battalion “Kirovohrad” of the 57th Motorized Infantry Brigade named after Kish Otaman Kost Hordiyenko.

His comrades describe him as an attentive, reliable, and compassionate person. 

On July 13, the rear positions of the Armed Forces near the village of Prychepylivka, Novoaidar rayon, Luhansk oblast, were fired with 152-mm projectiles. Dmytro Syvokon suffered from the first explosion, covering his comrades with his own body.

Severely wounded, he was evacuated to Kharkiv hospital. However, ten days later, on July 23, he died from injuries.

Dmytro was buried in the Alley of Heroes in the cemetery of Skadovsk.

His parents, wife, and three children remain behind.

May the memory of the fallen defenders live forever.