Global Communities, formerly CHF International, is an international non-profit organization that works closely with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable.
Global Communities is seeking a qualified and experienced Local Government Budget & Financial Management Specialist for the five-year USAID-funded Decentralization Offering Better Results and Efficiency (DOBRE) project. This project will strengthen local governments in newly consolidated communities to effectively manage resources and services that respond to community priorities and improve citizen engagement and oversight in local governance.
The Local Government Budget & Financial Management Specialist will help DOBRE consolidated communities (CCs) increase the effectiveness and efficiency of budgeting and financial management systems and process. The Local Government Budget & Financial Management Specialist will work closely with the COP and DCOP on program design and implementation. He/She will ensure quality control of program activities in the budgeting and financial management spheres. They will monitor the work performed by Program Officers, consultants, sub-awardees and other implementers in the budgeting and financial management work of DOBRE. He/She will be based in Kyiv, Ukraine and report to the Deputy Chief of Party. The position involves significant travel to DOBRE partner CCs.
Specifically, the Local Government Budget & Financial Management Specialist will:
- Provide input to program workplan and budget for all assistance activities to improve budgeting and financial management in CCs;
- Liaise and monitor the work of consultants/firms chosen to conduct the Financial Management Assessment;
- Develop Financial Management Action Plans for each partner CC after the Financial Management Assessment and design implementation of support and monitor performance of assistance to implement the plans;
- Design and lead assistance to support asset management at the CC level;
- Design and lead assistance to support improved long-range financial planning for more advanced CCs;
- Design and lead other activities to support improved local government budgeting and financial management;
- Lead the selection process for implementation of program assistance, including developing Scopes of Work, evaluating proposals, monitoring implementation and ensuring quality control;
- Visit CCs frequently to provide technical support and oversight on quality control of support activities;
- Liaise with NDI on the Gender Responsive Budgeting Activity;
- Coordinate with other technical components to aid cohesion among program interventions;
- Support the MEL Team in gathering data for the MEP;
- Prepare reports on activities and contribute to the Weekly, Monthly and quarterly reporting of the program;
- Other duties as assigned.
The duties listed above are not inclusive of all duties. Global Communities reserves the right to change and update the position descriptions at any time.
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Finance or a relevant field;
- A minimum of 7 years of experience working in local government budgeting and financial management or related field; prior experience working with USAID or other international donor-funded infrastructure projects is preferred;
- Strong communication and analytical skills;
- Successful track record advising local governments on budgeting and financial management or related issues;
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with government officials, civic leaders, business people and international donors;
- Professional proficiency in written and spoken English, and Ukrainian and/or Russian. Must be able to read and interpret documents, and communicate with others as necessary to perform job duties effectively;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with different teams in addition to the contractors, Local Authorities, community members during different project phase preferred;
- Experience working in a local government preferred;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to determine priorities and respect deadlines;
- Relevant experience in capacity building;
- Computer skills in MS office and Project Management software;
- Ability to work under pressure and when necessary outside formal working hours and willingness to travel frequently to various localities.
We are requesting that qualified individuals provide their CVs as well as salary history and the names and email addresses of 3 references, preferably direct supervisors, to [email protected] by May 10, 2017.