Colonel Lysenko: Militants launch 400 mortar shells in Mariupol sector


The armistice holds in Opytne and Pisky, but militants continue intense attacks from heavy armor in Avdiivka industrial are.

Kyiv, October 29, 2016. The most intense hostilities continue in the Mariupol sector. Militants launched almost 400 mortar shells. Traditionally, Mariinka and Shyrokyne with the outskirts still are remain the major flashpoints, informed the spokesman of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine on ATO related issues Colonel Andriy Lysenko at a press briefing at Ukraine Crisis Media Center. “Most attacks, as usual, happened during the hours of darkness. Nevertheless, the most intense shelling happened during the day. In total, 28 hostile attacks took place in the Mariupol sector, and 15 of them involved use of heavy armor,” he said.

Hostilities continued yesterday near Slovianiserbsk and in Popasna  district in the Luhansk sector yesterday. The situation was the most restless in Krymske, where Russia-backed militant groups were actively using mortar launchers and armor. “Russian proxies were firing from two directions simultaneously – east and south. Ukrainian troops actively returned fire,” added the spokesman. According to him, 17 militants’ attacks took place in this sector yesterday, and heavy armor was used in five cases.

Militants conducted extremely intense and lengthy shelling from heavy armor in the Avdiivka industrial area in the Donetsk sector yesterday. “It continued almost four hours non-stop. At least 120 mortar shells and artillery missiles were launched at our positions.Ukrainian troops responded with fire instantly,” said Col. Lysenko. The Svitlodarsk bulge was another flashpoint, as militants were using mortar launchers, cannons and armor there yesterday. Another attack took place at Butovka coal mine position. The armistice held at Horlivka perimeter, in Opytne and Pisky yesterday. In total, 10 attacks took place in the Donetsk sector yesterday, and four of them involved use of heavy armor.

One Ukrainian serviceman died in combat yesterday and seven were wounded.

According to Col. Lysenko, police officers prevented a terrorist attack at Lysychansk railway station. Following civilians’ evacuation, explosive experts found the explosive device and rendered it safe.